Re: Found you at last!
To: Kai Loreli Wyn
From: Austela Arsaeria
At: Y 23,984SRB, M 08, D 10, H 14:58 SC
The answer to how long I could get away with being locked in the toilet turned out to be half an hour. Much to my relief, this isn’t because the sub-consul tracked me down – apparently he’s now challenged one of the ship’s prestains to a round in the simulations – but because I need to be fitted for new clothing.
Apparently, the people of Rythe aren’t as keen on nudity (or even semi-nudity) as we are. I imagine this is because they’re all confined to their planet and can’t rely on shipboard conditioning. In any case, it means my silkmesh is all out the airlock, so to speak. I’ve got some of my fellows measuring me up as I compose this, from one of the clothier troupes. I’ve seen their work before – it can be quite outlandish, so I hope they decide on something sensible. The administrators probably have them on tight requirements, not that I’ve yet heard a peep from them myself.
A few things I’ve discovered about Rythe from what articles I can find and what I hear from people around the ship:
- The planet of Rythe operates at roughly 2SC-14, making for an interesting day/night cycle.
- It’s a cold planet, barely above freezing for most of the year and reaching only modest warmth in summer. (I’ve just mentioned that fact to the clothiers – if they don’t have good heating, I’ll want to be warmly dressed.)
- The concept of a parentage contract doesn’t exist for them. I don’t know what they do instead. Perhaps they just call it something different. Honestly, I have no idea how the clothiers heard of this one. It’s possible they’ve made it up themselves, or imagined it.
- Besides the nobility, everything else about life and society on Rythe is unknown, and they seem rather secretive about it. No one knows who their empyrrics are, if they have any, or how they structure their armies. The soldiers have had some run-ins with their ships before, but have only ever been told to get lost, amicably, from a distance. They’ve never boarded their ships nor had chance to witness their armaments.
- One of the engineers here says, from initial observations, that their technology seems quite advanced. They put it on par with Laresian tech, but I doubt a planet so isolated could match the resources of such a vast republic.
I’ll try to find out what I can before I get there. You always told me to do my research before diving in.
Apparently possessing ‘strong ankles’,